A robot is an automated machine that can perform tasks with little or no human assistance at a very high speed and is very proficient.
Evolution of robots
The first robot was made by George Devol in the year 1954 which was called Unimate. It was a commercial, programmable and digital robot which he later sold to General Motors and was used to lift very hot metals from die casting machines. Since then, robots have been constantly evolving leading to creation of different types with better artificial intelligence. Thanks to George Devol for inventing the first robot, we the future generation are having an easy time to get certain tasks done fast and proficiently.
Types of robots
- Industrial robots.
- Medical robots.
- Domestic robots.
- Military robots.
- Autonomous robots.
- Humanoid robots.
- Collaborative robots.
These are robots that are used in industries. Examples are articulated, cartesian, cylindrical.
- Articulated- they have design features and can have two or more rotary joints (axis) and they usually have four to six axes.
- Cartesian/gantry robots/rectilinear robots- they have three linear joints which tend to use the coordinates of the Cartesian plane (x, y, z). They also have a wrist that is attached to allow for rotational movement therefore delivering linear motion along the joint.
- Cylindrical- it has a prismatic joint that connects with one rotary joint at the base which uses a rotating motion along the joint.
These are robots used in medical sciences and are mostly telemanipulates and are mostly surgical robots. The most recently developed medical robots are;
- Xenex Germ-Zapping Robot.
- The CyberKnife Robot.
- The Tug Robot.
These are robots that are used to perform household chores. Examples are floor cleaners, lawn mowers, swimming pool cleaners,
- Floor cleaners- vacuum cleaner is the first to do household chores.