What You Need To Know About Driving In Europe After Brexit

What You Need To Know About Driving In Europe After BrexitBrexit will affect UK motorists who wish to drive in any of the EU countries in several ways; this article highlights the changes you must know about.

The changes to the regulations and laws around driving in Europe have a direct impact on driving lisences, driving permits, vehicle insurance policies and many other aspects that motorists will need to consider should they intend to drive on European roads after Brexit.

International Driving Permits

The Department for Transport has stated that in the event of the UK leaving the European Union without a deal, British motorists will be required to get their International Driving Permit (IDP) to be allowed to drive in the EU.
An IDP is nothing more than a translated variant of your actual driving license. It enables foreign officials to perform a quick check of your credentials. This permit costs £5.50 to buy and you can apply for it at your local Post Office.
Bear in mind, though, that an IDP is valid only together with your standard photocard driving licence.

Who Needs An International Driving Permit?

As a matter of fact, there are two types of IPD you can buy. The first one has been agreed upon under the 1949 Geneva Convention on Road Traffic while the second one has been born after the 1968 Geneva Convention on Road Traffic.
After Brexit, 1949 International Driving Permits will only be valid in Ireland, Cyprus, Mala and Spain. Should you want to travel in any other EU country, you’ll have to purchase the 1968 IDP. According to the DfT, the type of IDP you’ll need depends on the country you want to visit and not having the correct IDP you expose yourself to not being allowed to enter that country or to paying a hefty fine.

Green Card

Most … Continue reading >>>